Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Don't touch anything Blue!!!

My instructor stated that the most stressful moment in your Paramedic Education is when you are called into to do your first tube in the Operating Room.


He was definitely right....


The RN firmly told me "Dont touch anything blue!" as I walked in.

The floor was blue, the patient was covered in blue sheets, everyone's scrubs were blue.

I quickly realized that she meant the person with the safety glasses and apron and sterile gloves, and the table covered in surgical instruments.

I didn't touch any of that stuff.
There was a MD anesthesiologist watching, but a CRNA was in charge of this patient. She asked if I had ever intubated anyone....I shook my head.

I wasn't sure if the patient was still awake...in retrospect, I am certain he was not.

She asked if I have intubated the mannikin. I nodded.

I opened the patient's mouth and was amazed at how little it looked at all like those plastic mannikins.

Eventually I found my bearings, and found my patient's larynx. I glanced up,  and saw his oxygen stat was still at 100%.

The seal was cracked. One down....





No comments:

Post a Comment