Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Application Process - Documentation

There is a lot of documentation involved with applying to a paramedic education program. No more or less really than any other college program, but definitely more than someone who expects to just walk in.

A Current Resume
How much does a resume matter in the scope of things when it comes to a job? It definitely says a lot when you don't have one. One ambulance service that I applied to twice (first time-no resume, second time-sent one) only called me back for an interview on the second instance, and they were even hiring. Resume skills are important in life in general. There is no standard about what makes a good resume, but for entry level positions, I'd say it is good to keep it to one page.

EMS Credentials
Kind of a given I guess.

Proof of Health Insurance
I was kind of suprised by this one, but luckily for where I live, health insurance is avaliable to everyone.

A Letter of Recommendation from the Head of my EMS service
They spelled my name wrong, I was definitely annoyed by this. I went to pick it up right before my interview, so I guess I can take the blame, but in the end, I guess it didn't matter. 

Documentation of 50 calls as the primary responder over the past 12 months.
I guess this is a given as well, but if I was working as a volunteer for a a rural service one day a week, it might be a stretch.

A copy of my High School Diploma and College Transcripts(where applicable)
A lot of people aren't really "academic" which is okay, but to get through paramedic training, I think you need to have at least a basic level of academic proficiency and study habits, I will provide a post about learning styles this saturday.

This was a list of things that I was required to bring to the interview. But there was more...

A letter of recommendation from Medical Director of EMS service
I think that this was kind of meaningless, being that I have never met or seen the Med. Director of my service, but my program wanted this letter to state at least that there were no clinical issues that would keep me from finishing. Since my Medical Director isn't my PCP, I don't know how he/she would know this.

A Health Evaluation form
This had to be filled out by my PCP.

Proof of Childhood MMR immunizations
Also a given, working in Healthcare setting

Proof of Hep. B immunizations
Like I told the nurse at my PCP, I don't want some crackhead spitting blood in my face.

PPD test for TB
Another obvious one, I think its required by OSHA.

This was quite a list of things to compile, but if someone is working in Emergency Medicine already, it wouldn't be too bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment