Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Application Process - The Beginning

Since I still have a few weeks before things get started, I figure I can talk about what the application process was like for the Paramedic Program I am enrolled in.


How did I pick my program?

I didn't have many choices living where I do, but I knew I didn't want to get involved with a Community College based program, because years ago I took an EMT-B class as a CC, and wasn't very happen with the outcomes, I never took the National Registry test then, because I was out of the country at the time, and I really don't think I had the maturity level to be working in healthcare at the time (I know right?). I also already have an Associate's and a Bachelor's degree, so I was really only interested in getting my paramedic education. I didn't need any more pieces of paper.

Scheduling was also an issue, my program meets one day a week, and I can schedule clinicals around my work schedule. The school is also a 2.5 hour drive, so only making that once a week is definitely better for me.

I also took my EMT-B at a place that was specifically in the business of EMS training, and I was happy with the outcomes of the program, it was definitely more expensive, but the instructors were full-time instructors, and we were able to take the National Registry test at the school, using the equipment that we were familiar and practicing with.


Once I chose what program I was going to do, there was quite a list of things that I had to do, and I will go over them one by one.
  • Preliminary Application
  • Interview/Testing
  • Documentation

Preliminary Application

This application was quick and easy, my national registry number and basic information (address, phone, etc). I think it was a $75 application fee

This was done all on line, through the Program's website.

I will post about the Interview process, as well as all the documentation I needed later.

No comments:

Post a Comment