Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Med Math...er...Arithmetic..

I got an email from my instructor a few days ago, included was a few practice problems that we were expected to be comfortable with.

I looked at them, and immediately I thought about all the upper levels of Calculus and Discrete Mathematics I had encountered completing my Computer Science degree.

My ego scoffed at how easy it was, and that it wasn't math, but simple arithmetic...


I started working on the problems, and luckily, I was able to find instructions for long division on the internet.

#8 stymied me, but #10 worked out

I think that I will have to be careful, because sometimes I have the tendency to trivialize things that I had exposure to in the past, without actually assessing my competency in them. I guess that might not be right, because I was in the process of assessing when I realized that I completely forgot how to do long division.

But luckily, when it got to the scary looking stuff, I did alright...I think. The units I ended up with were an actual measurement, so that's pretty exciting.

At least I think I did...if anyone solves these problems, feel free to leave your answer in the comments, I'll share what I got too.

1 comment: