Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

I'm too old....

Healthcare is broken....

I recently had contact with a patient who was over three quarters of a century old.


This patient was not overweight,

they were not diabetic,

the only medications they were on was an aspirin regiment.

they skied over 70 days a year.

Let's call her Susie...

I think about the difference between this patient and the majority of people within the American Healthcare System, and I can only think that somehow the system failed them. The problem isn't the lack of willpower on their part, but our culture, and or medicine just isn't working.

I've never met a morbidly obesity person heading in for their second lower extremity amputation to be happy where they were.


Why is Susie the exception and not the rule?

I used to be of the "personal responsibility" camp, but since working in healthcare, I'm not really sure anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment