Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

First Chest Pain Call...Updated

So, thanks to a comment in this post from Christopher, I have been led on the path that the first patient I did a 12 lead on as a Paramedic may have had something called Ashman Phenomenon.

Ashman Phenomenon, by my understanding, is when a patient in Atrial Fibrillation has a long R to R interval followed by a relatively short R to R interval. During the long R to R, I guess the corresponding refractory period is also lengthened, to the point where it isn't quite finished by the next beat, causing aberrant conduction, typically mirroring a Right Bundle Branch Block, but sometimes other patterns too.

I originally stated that the patient had A.fib with occasional aberrant conduction, which appeared to be a Right Bundle Branch Block.

I dug up the 12 lead that I saved and I saw that it didn't appear to be a right bundle branch block, but in fact a left bundle branch block.

But enough talk, here are 2 of the EKGs I did....
Ignore the Wandering Baseline...



I guess Ashman phenomenon is occasionally mistook for a PVC, but seeing as how this patient had multiple perfusing abnormal beats in a row at a reasonable rate, it seemed more like a block.

Lead II in monitor mode wasn't very useful in showing the aberrant beats(they barely registered as squiggles), in retrospect I could've used MCL1, that might have shown the rhythm better, but I guess that will have to wait for next time.

It is interesting though, because what I read about Ashman Phenomena on the internet (the source of all credible information) it seems to usually just be a single beat. But if this patient's heart couldn't refract (Is a word, no?) fast enough, I guess it would make sense for multiple beats in a row to conduct abnormally.

Now my question for discussion would be, Did this patient prescription to Diltiazem increase her aberrant beats or not?

Any comments?




3 comments:

  1. Actually, in Ashman's you get RBBB conduction. The wide beats in these ECG's have LBBB morphology, so this is not Ashman's.

    It looks like you have a progressive decrease in conduction of the left bundle branches. You can see the beats getting wider and wider until they conduct with a full left bundle branch block. After the long pause the left bundle can conduct normally. This is a fairly ominous sign in my opinion, without seeing his previous ECG I would assume in the field that this is related to ischemia.

    As for Dilt being the cause, I wouldn't imagine it to be the case. Perhaps if this was a recent change, but I'd expect bradycardia and hypotension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an email exchange with other ECG aficionados (read: nerds) I was corrected in my statement that Ashman's only conducts with RBBB, when in fact it could conduct with either.

      Learn something new every day!

      Delete
    2. Either way, I would have much preferred "sinus rhythm with no ST changes/abnormalities" as my first 12 lead as a Medic, but I guess we can't have everything.

      Delete